Your brain is a very powerful organ. It can easily sense if there is something wrong happening in the body. Say for example, there is an obstruction or any irritant present in your throat or air passages. Once your brain thinks that a foreign object is present, it will command your body to remove such obstruction. This is when coughing occurs.
Yet again, cough is not only caused by a simple obstruction. There are many reasons why a person coughs — such as viral infection, flu, catching a common cold, or even smoking. Certain medical conditions such as tuberculosis, asthma and lung cancer may also lead to cough which will make your throat itchy and will make you feel congested. Though there are some over-the-counter cough treatments available, livealittlelonger recommends applying the very-old household remedies.
Top 5 Cough Remedies To Try At Home
- In a half cup of boiling water, add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of black pepper. Boil for 2-3 minutes and add 1 tbsp of honey. You can drink this mixture daily till your cough improves.
- You can also make a turmeric herbal tea by adding 1 tsp of the same powder and 1 tsp of carom seeds to a water cup. Boil until water is reduced to ½ cup only and add honey to taste. Drink this 2-3 times a day.
- Slice fresh ginger into smaller pieces and crush them a little. Boil them on a cup of water. You can optionally add lemon juice or honey depending on your taste and preference. Drink this ginger solution 3-4 times a day to relieve yourself from sore throat, continuous coughing and congestion.
- Though a little bit uncomfortable, another way is to chew fresh ginger from time to time to lessen cough symptoms.
- In a cup of water, boil 2-3 cloves and add 1 tsp of oregano. Cool to room temperature after boiling and add some honey for a proven home remedies for cough. Drink.
- Simply eat a clove of crushed garlic with few drops of clove oil. You can also add some honey for a quicker relief of sore throat.
- A cough syrup made from mixing baked onion juice, honey, and comfrey tea is a good home remedy for cough. Drink this daily and you can see the result.
- Onion, as one of the home remedies for cough, may also be combined with 1 tsp of pure honey. Drink the solution not less than twice a day to help lessen cough symptoms and sore throat.
- Mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey to make a cough syrup that you can use as one of the natural cough remedies. You can drink this syrup several times a day without the risk of over dosage, and you can also be assured that it is healthier since it does not contain any chemicals at all.
- You can also blend lemon juice and honey. Sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper and drink the concoction.